Pages

16 September, 2010

Tech school.. the new adventures.. according to Lauren!

That Sunday, it was unfortunatley time to walk back to the dorm, and once again kiss my Airman goodbye. I choked back tears the whole walk as I tried my hardest to make light conversation for both our sakes. We made it to the dorm and that was as close as I could get. I had to stay on my side of the street and he had to cross to the dorm. He hugged me tight and those tears broke free... and didn't stop. I tried to get together enough to seem strong for him, but I don't think I did a very good job! We finally hugged and kissed good bye and he headed across the street. I stood and watched. Again with the tears, and they just wouldn't stop. That familiar pain in my heart was back too... This time different though. I was so proud words couldn't even express. I was so glad he joined, I missed him like crazy, but that wasn't the guy that left me in Pensacola, this new, mature, dedicated, committed, man was my soon to be husband! :) I cried the entire walk back to the hotel after watching him walk all the way upstairs to his dorm. I passed several other airmen and got the same response to my tears.
"It's ok ma'am!" "it will be ok!" I smiled through the tears, cause it was ok.

I'll take a moment here to tell you all how lucky we are to live in this millenium. Facebook is amazing. I know that sounds silly, but it really is! During BMT I was able to meet several other girlfriend/wives through various facebook groups who's significant other was in Stephen's flight. You have no idea how helpful it is to have someone to talk to who's going through the exact same things! I have a feeling this will come in handy all the way through our adventures in the military. (To any other AF wives reading this blog, let me know if you would like the link to any of the groups, you have no idea how truly helpful they are!) Back to my story... I was dreading the night ahead of me in the hotel by myself. Luckily, through facebook I learned that one of the other wives was stuck there alone too in the same hotel! :) We met up and walked to the minimall together and then talked for hours in the hotel. It was SO nice to have someone to pass the evening with! My advice to incoming AF wives.. take advantage of facebook and get to know other AF wives! I've made several good friends, and we are all going through the same thing! Remember, we're all part of the world's greatest air force too! We have to stick together)

As much as I was dreading trekking home the next day, knowing he was off to another school in Texas and I wouldn't be able to see him again for a month and a half. When I got that first text from him in the middle of the night when he got his phone back, I knew it would be a million times better now! And boy was I right!

We talk everyday. Many of you take that for granted, if you are, go hug your significant other cause you don't know how lucky you are! We can chat through facebook, text, call, or skype, my personal favorite! I can actually SEE him everyday! :) The best part is, I can visit whenever we want now! Stephen's 24th birthday will be the third weekend in October and we're currently in the process of planning my trip there! I'm currently counting the days down until then!

None of this is easy. We still have rough days, but at least now we can talk about them. I'll be the first to admit that I took Stephen for granted while he was with him. As I've said before, i'm so proud of him because he has truly grown up and matured thanks to the AF. But before he left I never really truly appreciated him. Little things like cooking dinner and having movie night together now seem like such a big deal. As much as I hate the distance the separation, I appreciate what it has done for our relationship. We have no choice but to communicate, so it has strengthened our communication immensely. Not only that but we can really say we appreciate each other now. I will not take a minute for granted. I'm already planning our trips to visit, and his leave at Christmas...and I really can't wait until our wedding next May! As frustrating as the planning is proving to be, i'm so excited for it! I know there will be plenty of adventures in both the wedding planning, and tech school to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment