Pages

29 June, 2011

ONE YEAR

ago today, Stephen and Bryan boarded that plane and headed to San Antonio, TX for 8.5 weeks of Air Force boot camp!  WOW! I just can't believe it's been a year. Some days it feels like forever ago, and some days it feels like just yesterday. The craziest thing is even though he's been home for a few months now, I can still feel the way I felt on the day he left. It's the weirdest feeling and you'll never fully understand until you feel it yourself. But it's like being crushed. I was exhausted for that first week just because I was so emotionally drained. I cried at the drop of a hat. And not just boo hoo'ed either, I sobbed uncontrollably. I cried at work(they had never seen me cry before, I think they were all a little concerned!), I cried in the car, I cried at night the most. I had been dreading him leaving since we found out his dates for boot camp, but thought that I would be ok, 8 weeks is no big deal. Nope! Wasn't as prepared as I had hoped. The minute they left to go inside to board the plane, my throat tightened up, my stomach felt sick, and my heart just hurt. I managed to keep it together pretty well on the drive back since Stephen's Mom and brother had ridden with me. But as soon as I dropped them off, I sobbed the whole home, and laid on the couch and just cried until I had to be at work. Unfortunately, it didn't really stop then either! I cried on and off all night at work. We really hadn't been apart longer than a night or two since we started dating almost 3 years earlier. So the thought of 8 long weeks... I can't even describe the feeling. Especially since I constantly had the fear that anything could happen and his graduation could get pushed back. The military loves to change dates! That not knowing when you'll see each other again, is like a black hole. There's no tangible thing to count towards. Anyone that's gone through a deployment knows what I mean. It wasn't all terrible though! I had a wonderful support system. I pretty  much lived at my parents. If it weren't for Natty I would have slept there every night! Natty dog was the perfect protector/cuddler/shoulder to cry on. I had friends that helped keep me distracted. And the mail! Oh goodness, I have never been more excited about letters in my life!! It was hard, but it is cool to look back on those now and read them, and we'll have them forever to be able to read over.

My wonderful husband made it through basic with flying colors! He got expert marksman and graduated right on time(minus one little incident that I found out about later that is now a funny story I will have to tell later!). I am so proud of him! Words can't even express.. I was always in love with him, but I fell in love with him all over again that graduation weekend. He had really grown up into a man of honor over those 8.5 weeks and I loved it! I try to remember to tell him often, but I don't think I say it nearly enough! I am one very proud Air Force wife! :) Congratulations on all your hard work paying off, baby! I am so proud of you and I love you!

That's enough mush for one day! I will leave you with a recap of pictures from the day Stephen left. Can't believe it's been a year, but I'm SO glad it's behind us now! :) Happy Wednesday y'all!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment